Friday, April 4, 2008

Setting the Record Straight: Wintergreen Oil

One of my friends is a member of an animal-related chat group. A question was posted recently regarding wintergreen oil and whether it was safe to apply it to an arthritic animal. Someone posted an answer which stated, with no doubt whatsoever, that wintergreen oil is toxic, that it could be fatal and should never be applied to any animal or human at any time. Well, that's not exactly true.

Since I have the information and the evidence against this statement, I couldn't help but take the opportunity to educate these folks about wintergreen essential oil. While I was doing my research and writing up a response to the chat group, I thought that this subject would make a decent post for my own blog. So, here you have it.

It's true that many reference books and aromatherapy authorities, especially those of the British persuasion, contain warnings against the use of wintergreen oil. However, there is nothing toxic about the wintergreen provided by Young Living. Lab produced wintergreen, methyl salicylate, can definitely be toxic and I wouldn't use it.

In his book The Chemistry of Essential Oils Made Simple, Ph.D. David Stewart writes:

"Isomers are two or more compounds with the same formula but different molecular structures. The formula for methyl salicylate is C8H8O3. However, the 8 carbons, 8 hydrogens and 3 oxygen atoms of this formula (19 atoms total) can join together in several ways thus creating molecules with the same formula, but arranged in different structural shapes with different properties. There are 25 isomers of the formula C8H8O3. Two are very similar to that of natural methyl salicylate, but not quite. When plants produce methyl salicylate, they make a specific single pure isomer -- only one of the 25. Laboratories can't do this. When a lab tries to produce a single isomer, they end up with mixtures of two or more isomers, not just one. This is significant because different isomers of the same compound can have entirely opposite properties -- some helpful, some harmful. So there is good methyl salicylate and bad methyl salicylate. Humans can make the bad while only God knows how to make the good."

There is a lot of bad wintergreen out there, but Young Living stands behind its wintergreen essential oil as being pure, organic, and without contaminants. It is independently verified to be of the highest grade of therapeutic essential oil and has stood the test of time and use for over 15 years. Any Young Living distributor would be able to give a testimonial or several on the benefits of Young Living wintergreen. Young Living wintergreen oil has anticoagulation and antispasmodic properties, and has also been used with great success as a vasodilator, an agent for reducing blood pressure and is highly anti-inflammatory, making it just the right choice for arthritis and many other inflammatory conditions. Wintergreen is in our supplements, our face creams, our soaps and even in our toothpaste.

Be so careful when you are choosing anything to put on your pets and on yourself. Make sure it's pure and not made in a lab. Don't buy it at the drug store or the grocery store. Make sure you know what you're using. I would certainly not hesitate to say that I have used wintergreen by Young Living on my face, on my joints, on my headaches and in my mouth. I'm here to tell the tale. I can say without any hesitation that Young Living's wintergreen oil is unequivocally the best on the planet.

You could site chapter and verse about "wintergreen oil" and it's toxicity. There is enough information out there for anyone to easily be able to give reference on the subject. These writings would be right for the most part. But you can never site anything of the kind regarding Young Living. Hundreds of thousands of Young Living distributors and customers can't be wrong about our wintergreen essential oil. It's good for use on high blood pressure, inflammation, muscle and nerve pain, joint and ligament pain, atherosclerosis, fatty liver and more. It's been proven and documented to be therapeutic, it smells yummy and above all it's safe!

For more information about the purest of oils, check out The Essential Oil Desk Reference published by Essential Science Publishing. You could check out my website, too. Or, you could contact me directly by phone or email to discuss the wonderful properties of wintergreen essential oil, made with care by Young Living. While I'm waiting for your call...

I'm wishing you the best of health!
Jude

www.youngliving.org/judithanne53
wellness@desker.net
315-255-3066

5 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It is safe but for topical use only - not ingesting. Even Young Living themselves state that this oil (along with 9 others) are not recommended for ingesting. PDF, bottle and catalog all say the same thing

Jude said...

Hey, Anonymous, I must tell you that I have been ingesting Young Living Wintergreen Essential Oil for years on a regular basis and I'm still here, still healthy. Native Americans did, so we should be able to do so, as long as it's all organic from start to finish.
Young Living has to say this or they would not be allowed to sell their product in the US. This is according to FDA regs. But, as a former distributor and current user of Young Living products, I can tell you that it is safe to ingest and is being used in this fashion by many who use it. I speak only about Young Living wintergreen & no others. They others may be fine or not, but I don't know. As far as Young Living products go...I know. So, all I can say to you is to make up your own mind about Young Living wintergreen. The FDA doesn't know what they're talking about regarding Young Living wintergreen.

Kathy said...

Thanks for the comment. Why are you a former YL distributor?

Jude said...

Hi, Kathy. Thanks for your question. I love the oils and Young Living oils are top notch. I use them every day and would not have written about them if I thought ill of them. But, I didn't agree with myself being a salesperson. I just didn't have it in me. I really just wanted to share my experiences with the oils and sell a few bottles on the side to boost my income. I expected to be compensated, though, for whatever I sold and Young Living doesn't work that way. This company has it's financial requirements for distributors set up in such a way as to make the distributor have to make a purchase of a certain amount each month before any commission could be gotten from any sale. I could not afford to do that. So, I sold a bottle here and a couple of bottles there, but if I bought myself nothing or just a few things, I still didn't get a commission. I thought that was unfair. So, that is why I let my business go. I still have my distributorship but I am my only customer.

If you are looking to become a distributor in an mlm company, I would make sure you have all the particulars before you jump. My opinion is that Young Living could have their earnings plan set up to be more fair to its distributors. But, their products are wonderful and I have never changed my opinion on that.

Jude